Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Review of Soho Disney Themed Brushes and Sponges

Hello Beauties!
 
Recently when digging through the new makeup bins at work, I struck gold! We got new makeup brushes and sponges from soho. And the best part? They were Disney themed! Anyone who knows me well knows that I LOVE Disney themed makeup. I grabbed a few of my favorites and decided to give them a whirl.
 
I decided to get the little mermaid brushes, the snow white sponge, and the set of 3 sleeping beauty sponges. There were also two brushes in a beauty and the beast theme, and two double ended brushes in the jasmine theme.
 
My favorite of the three things I bought was definitely the snow white sponge.
 
 
I know that soho has a sponge that looks basically like this, but in pink. I'm not sure if it's the same one with just a different color and marketed as new. But this sponge is excellent! This retailed for 10$ and is definitely worth it. I've never had a beauty blender sponge, but I own the Sonia Kashuk version, and this blows it away. When you wet it, it blows up to double the original size (as shown). And the marquis shape makes it great for both large areas of blending and detail work. I used this today to apply my liquid foundation, concealer, cream bronze and cream blush, and to blend any areas that seemed powdery when I was finished with my makeup. It is a do it all product.
 
 
The next product I tried was the little mermaid brush set. This included a foundation/concealer brush duo and a "highlighting brush" and this retailed for $15. My main gripe with the foundation brush is the size of it. It is way too small to put foundation on your whole face. If you like to spot apply foundation instead of covering your entire face, then this could work. The brushes are synthetic fibers, and very dense, which is good for spot concealing.
The other brush is called the "highlighting brush". I have the same problem with this as the foundation brush, its just too small. If your trying to apply the highlight to the cheekbones, the smaller brush will make the highlight too intense in a small area, instead of an all over glow that a larger less-dense brush can offer. I do like this brush for contouring the sides of the nose. And if you did want to use this brush for highlighter, you can use it for the bridge of the nose and cupids bow for a more intense highlight.
 
 Just look at the cute little mermaid scales and shell emblems! :) (Please excuse the dirty brushes.)
 
 
The final sponges are the ones I was the most disappointed with. The sleeping beauty sponges came in a set of 3 and were supposed to represent the 3 fairies. These retail for $13. The idea is super cute, and I love how the matched each sponge to the colors of the fairy, but the sponges are just terrible. They were smaller and denser than the snow white sponge, and did not work at all. In fact they were not only dense, but they were hard! Even after a full minute of being submerged in warm water, they didn't not soften or expand at all. Because of this, it was extremely difficult to blend any makeup with. It felt like I was using an egg to roll on my foundation. I attempted to use the green one to blend out my foundation, and the red one to blend out my under eye concealer.  It just astounds me that soho can make such a good sponge in the snow white collection, and such terrible ones in the sleeping beauty collection. If they were made out of the same material, they would have been fabulous sponges.
 
 
 So overall, I love the idea of Disney themed makeup, it appeals to the princess inside all of us. I just wish soho would take the time to execute better quality brushes. I'm going to return the sleeping beauty sponges, and I might purchase the jasmine or belle brushes and put them to the test.

Let me know in the comments if you would be interested in a follow up post with those brushes, or on any other Disney themed makeup. Thank you for reading lovelies!
 
Best Wishes,
Heather

2 comments: